The Music Class Programs
The Music Class has several programs designed for children with a parent or caregiver. We also have a program for preschool or childcare centers where parents are not in the room. Please check out all of our options below and feel free to email us with any questions!
The Music Class®
Parent/child classes for children ages birth through 4 years old
The Music Class is a fun-filled program of singing, dancing, movement, and instrument play, all designed to stimulate musical learning! Key components include:
- Research-based activities are designed to nurture young children's musical development by motivating parents and caregivers to engage in musical activities with their children. Through teacher modeling, play, parent education, our acclaimed music, and the joy of our classes, TMC provides a catalyst for parents to create a stimulating musical environment for their children.
- Class sizes that reflect the individualized attention families need while still harnessing the energy of group fun! We recommend a class size minimum of 6 and a maximum of 12 children.
- Consistency and familiarity through our recommended session structure. Classes meet once a week, usually for a 10-week session. Families attend the same class each week, resulting in both children and parents bonding with their teacher and classmates.
- Mixed Age Classes create an active & fun environment where children of different ages (such as siblings) can enjoy class together, and learn from observing each other as well as the adults in the room!
The Music Class® Big Kids
Parent/child classes for 4 and 5-year-olds
The Music Class for Big Kids includes the same fun spirit and activities as our Music Class program, plus more challenging activities designed to capitalize on the ability and creativity of “big kids”. Goals include:
- Improving children's pitch and rhythm skills. In addition to The Music Class style singing and movement activities, we include individualized tonal and rhythm instruction each week to challenge each student at his or her own level.
- Developing critical listening skills, such as the ability to identify when notes are correct or incorrect when listening to familiar songs.
- Learning about band and orchestra instruments, and practicing the identification of the sounds they produce.
- Introducing the piano. Fun keyboarding activities help prepare our students for future keyboard or piano lessons.
The Music Class® Keyboard
Parent/child classes group keyboard classes for ages 5 - 7
In our Keyboard classes, aural skills are taught along with technical skills and students learn to play by ear before music notation is introduced. Children and their parents learn together in groups of up to eight families utilizing our Sound Habits® curriculum. Highlights include:
- Weekly group lessons that are taught in a fun and playful manner. Each class is 45 minutes and progresses in a series of three sequential 10-week sessions: fall, winter, and spring.
- Guided home practice sessions (provided on our app). Students are expected to practice for about ten minutes, a minimum of 3 times per week.
- Recitals featuring student solos, parent-child duets, and child-child duets and ensembles.
- Beginning harmony, transposition, and improvisation.
- Building self-esteem and self-discipline.
- Development of many musical skills that are easily transferred to other instruments.
- Opportunities for parent-child bonding while learning a new skill together- an experience that becomes increasingly rare once children reach school age!
The Music Class® for Schools and Childcare Centers
(a.k.a. "The Music Class Schools" and "TMC Schools") A music education program for preschools, family care, and childcare centers for children from ages infant through kindergarten.
TMC for Schools is a fun and economical way to bring quality music education to preschools and childcare centers, while still emphasizing the importance of immersion and repetition for early childhood education. Highlights include:
- Exposure to The Music Class' extensive and highly acclaimed catalog of recorded music which provides a new song collection every six months for 3 years.
- Play-based teaching approach featuring engaging movement activities and fun musical instruments to make music time a highlight of every child’s day.
- Online training and detailed lesson plans packed with video examples make it easy for classroom teachers or music specialists to lead the program.
- Family access to the music on the TMC Tunes app for each new song collection, so that children will be immersed in the same music both at school and at home.